Friday, October 21, 2011

Nice Old Family Trunk "UpDo"


I guess it's pretty obvious that the only reason I started this blog is to be able to post on Miss Mustard Seed's Feature Furniture Friday! : )  I am like a lot of other women, I love finding bargains, bringing them home and cleaning them up to make them mine. I plan to try a painted piece before long, but have not found the right one, yet. A couple of months ago, I remembered that I had an old family trunk that was being stored at my in-laws house. It was in pretty rough shape and my mother -in-law didn't think it would ever look like much. I, however, knew it would be special! Anyway, this is what it looked like before the "UpDo". The bottom of the trunk was very weak and the wood strips that held the metal in place were rotten. I put a new bottom on the trunk (from the inside), replaced the wood strips, ordered new leather handle straps and nails and began the detail work on the metal pieces. Most of the metal was rusted, so I spent most of my time cleaning it up. I sanded and stained the wood strips. The rest of the trunk was covered in a cotton fabric, which was in pretty good shape for the age of the piece. I decided to stain the fabric and all of the metal to make it look old again. After replacing the handles, I put one coat of sealant over the entire piece. I had decided to use the trunk by my bedside, so I needed to make it taller. I happened to have some leg pieces from some antique teak chairs that I thought would do the trick, so I added those at the corners. The only thing I have left to do is order a piece of glass for the top, oh and try to find a key that fits the lock! Any suggestions??

So, I am quite pleased with the end result! It is the right height, has plenty of room for some of my do-dads and makes me smile! The best thing is that I only spent about $35 on this project; that's always a plus!


Thank you for reading my post and I hope you have a wonderful day  ; )


Soutz me just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment